Florence Snyder was born Florence Rose Kent in 1919 in Mohall, North Dakota to parents Edith and Warren Kent. She spent her childhood on a farm there, but moved with her family to Oregon in 1933.
While a student at OCE, she met her future husband, OSU student Allen Snyder on a blind date. They married in 1942. She and Allen first lived in Chicago, then Portland, Hillsboro and Beaverton for over 68 years. A teacher by profession, she quit her job in Portland to raise her two children. Central to her life was the importance and love of immediate and extended family.
In 1948 Florence and Allen joined First United Methodist church, and were active members in groups and volunteer work there for over 65 years. Together they were instrumental in founding, developing and improving the Jackson Bottom Wetlands preserve in Hillsboro. Their on-site weekly bird counts provided a valuable database for not just the number of species but also habitat and migration patterns of all birds. Throughout her life, Florence did volunteer work: teaching English as a second language, regular visitations of elderly, work with the Portland Audubon Society just to name a few. In 1966 she received the highest national award for her exceptional work with Camp Fire Girls, Inc.
A Christian woman in the very best sense of the word, she was always compassionate, helpful, generous, kind and quick to share a laugh. With Allen she enjoyed square and round dancing and playing cards. Florence loved a good cup of coffee!
She is survived by her son, Lauren Snyder, daughter, Audrey Snyder Brown, four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Her husband of 71 years, Allen, died in 2013. Florence peacefully died in Eugene surrounded by her loving family after a long struggle with dementia.
Donations may be made in her honor to United Women of Faith at First United Methodist Church, fumcpdx.org